The vgTcl Suite
Change Log and Porting Notes
vgtcl34 for Vega 3.4, AudioWorks2 3.4, Performer 2.2.x
- Executable scripts now use the shell's PATH environment variable
to locate the
Be sure the directory containing
(typically /usr/local/PSI/bin) is in PATH.
- Package Svsensortcl_ogl has become Vgsvtcl_ogl.
- bug fix: canvas dimensions were reversed when using map image.
- heading and pitch are clamped to +/-180.
- New procedures added to the Vega utility library.
See /usr/local/lib32/PSI/VgtclUtil.tcl for details.
- The following have been enhanced to use
- The libpfpftcl loader can now parse "command line arguments "
from the filename.
See /usr/local/PSI/demo/argtest.pftcl for usage example.
- In package Pftcl_ogl:
- New command:
- see /usr/local/PSI/bin/showheir.tcl for usage example.
- bug fix:
pfFindFile now returns path string as result
- New files added to distribution. See there for additional information.
vgtcl33 for Vega 3.3, AudioWorks2 1.6, Performer 2.2
- The vgTcl Suite supports only OpenGL and the MIPS "n32" ABI.
- The vgTcl Suite is a layer on "tcltk803",
a version of Tcl/Tk/TclX version 8.0.3 built by MultiGen-Paradigm.
tcltk803 does not interfere with the sgitcl already installed
on your system as part of IRIX.
- There are several nasty bugs in IRIX 6.2 and 6.3 (such as SGI bug
#353344 "Problem in n32 mips3 _XInternAtom" and some rld problems).
You must install a recent recommended patchset, or tcltk803 will not function.
- FYI: vgTcl is a complete reimplementation using SWIG, and takes advantage
of the new Tcl8 just-in-time bytecode compiler.
It is built -n32 -mips3 on IRIX6.2 with the Apr98 recommended
patchset, using the MIPSpro7.2 compiler.
- The new libpfpftcl loader provides an embedded Tcl interpreter
with no C code modification in standard Vega and Performer applications
(such as Vega's Active Preview). See the examples in
- Source code to the vgTcl Suite is provided.
- Now using the Tcl8
vgTcl scripts must explicitly declare their interest in extension modules;
package require Vgtcl_ogl
See usr/local/lib32/PSI/pkgIndex.tcl for the list of vgTcl packages.
- The environment variable GLOPT is obsolete.
vgTcl supports only OpenGL.
- The environment variable VGTCLTKDISPLAY has been renamed PSITCLDISPLAY.
- The environment variable VGTCLTKRC has been renamed PSITCLRC.
- The vgTcl filesystem has moved from /usr/sgitcl/PSI.
The primary location is /usr/local/PSI/vgtcl, though other files are
integrated with the tcltk803 filesystem. Use
showfiles vgtcl to
locate specific files.
- psish has moved to /usr/local/PSI/bin/psish.
- system.psishrc has moved to /usr/local/lib32/tcl8.0/system.psishrc.
- /usr/sgitcl/PSI/lib/tclIndex is obsolete and replaced by
- The headers in /usr/sgitcl/PSI/include have been merged and rearranged.
Their replacements are found in /usr/local/include.
- pfInitTclTk() and vgInitTclTk() are replaced by Psitcl_CreateInterp().
(Side note: with the libpfpftcl loader, the need for creating an interpreter in
the Vega application C code is greatly reduced;
- pfUpdateTclTk() and vgUpdateTclTk() are replaced by Psitcl_Update().
The update is no longer automatically installed as a Vega frame callback;
the simulation loop must explicitly invoke it.
- Greater coverage of the Vega API.
- The result returned by vgGetPosVec and vgGetPosVecD is now
consistant with the C prototype.
vgtcl load command (and the awtcl and pftcl equivalents)
is obsolete, replaced by the Tcl8
package require mechanism.
- The new
vgtcl break command (and the awtcl equivalent)
vgtcl render loop.
- Mouse events seem lost on reparented windows. Under investigation.
- Many of the issues necessitating LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or -rpath have been
- filesel has been removed from the distribution.
Tcl8 provides the native tk_getSaveFile/tk_getOpenFile procedures.
- pospeek.tcl greatly enhanced, see the script file for details.
Now has a clickable map option, with optional background image.
- posgrab.tcl greatly enhanced, see the script file for details.
Now uses a scrollable list of editable items.
There is no more implicit loading of .posgrabrc;
you must explicitly load using open/save file menu, or -posfile commandline
option. The format of the position file has changed; but we still read
the old format.
- The escape key is no longer globally bound to the Tcl exit command;
it was difficult to know when escape would kill just a gui window or the
entire vega app.
The demo code has been updated to explicitly bind the escape key.
- The list in the Vgu_KeyHelp window is now clickable.
vgtcl_OMEGA1 release for
AudioWorks 2 1.5,
Copyright 1998-1999 MultiGen-Paradigm Inc. -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
$Id: CHANGES.html,v 2.15 1999/06/09 20:39:47 mew Exp $